The Town Council of Winona Lake, Indiana met in a regular session on Tuesday, January 15, 2019, in the Town Hall at 6:00 p.m.
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT: Rick Swaim, Dennis Duncan, Heather James, Theila Banta,
ABSENT: Holly Hummitch
OTHERS PRESENT: Craig Allebach, Kent Adams, Tom Miller, Joe Hawn, Mitch Titus and Adam Turner
Opening – Heather opened the meeting with prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance.
Election of Officers – Rick asked for nominations for President of the Council. Dennis nominated Rick and Theila seconded. There were no further nominations, so nominations were closed. A vote was called for and the motion passed. Rick then called for nominations for Vice-President. Heather nominated Dennis and Theila closed the motion and Jim seconded. There were no further nominations, so nominations were closed. A vote was called for and the motion passed.
Approval of Minutes – Rick called for additions or corrections to the December 19, 2018 regular session minutes and January 3, 2019 special session meeting minutes. Motion made by Theila Banta and Dennis seconded. Hearing no additions/corrections, the minutes stand approved as presented.
Approval of Claims – Kent presented for approval for December 18, 2018 End of Month claims, in the amount of $73,154.32 and January 15, 2019 claims in the amount of $188,549.40. Heather moved to approve the claims as presented and Dennis seconded. Motion passed.
· January 26, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. – Pajama Party Sale, Village at Winona. The greater savings are earlier in the morning. Check the shops websites for details on sales.
Resolution 2019-1-2 Aim Medical Trust
· The Resolution adopts the second amended and restated agreement and declaration of trust of the Aim Medical Trust that is the town’s health insurance plan.
· James made the motion to approve Resolution 2018-11-1 and Theila seconded. Motion passed.
Resolution 2019-1-3 County Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan
· The Resolution adopts Kosciusko county Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan that the town participated in some time ago and then was sent into the Department of Homeland Security for review/approval. This makes it possible for the town to receive future funding for mitigation projects.
· Dennis made the motion to approve Resolution 2019-1-3 and Heather seconded. Motion passed.
Board Appointments – Craig presented the following recommendations for the different Town Boards:
· Redevelopment Commission: Bruce Shaffner, Dennis Daniels, John Elliott, Al Disbro,
· Art Commission: Rick Swaim, Joy Lohse, Al Disbro, Amanda Banks, Martha Beeson,
Retha Hicks, Terry White
Theila moved to approve the board appointments as presented and James Lancaster seconded. Motion passed.
Report from Town Engineer
· Working on drainage issues in Lexington Manor.
· Received an email from Tom about sanitary sewer capacity numbers.
· Easements for Oakhill Street and finish design on Town standards.
· New road design and bike trail
Report Town Attorney
· Working with Jim Walmer to transition records.
· Jim and Adam are working together on some minor litigation.
Reports from Supervisors
· Street Dept./Tom Miller - Coming attraction “snow”. At the end of December, the staff has worked 5,032 days without a lost time incident, that is over thirteen years. In March it will be fourteen years, that is a significant achievement: dedication, attention to detail, safety culture that has been developed in the department. The staff should be recognized for their accomplishment.
· Police Dept./Joe Hawn – We have been busy this month working with child protective services, burglaries in the village and we appreciate the council’s approval for a new officer Riley Arvanitis, started last week.
· Fire Dept./Mitch Titus – Have been busy helping other departments.
Meeting was adjourned - Dennis motioned to adjourn. Meeting was adjourned at 6:13 p.m.
RICK SWAIM KENT ADAMS