The Town Council of Winona Lake, Indiana met in a regular session on Tuesday, April 16, 2019, in the Town Hall at 6:00 p.m.
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT: Rick Swaim, Dennis Duncan, Heather James, Theila Banta,
ABSENT: James Lancaster and Holly Hummitch
OTHERS PRESENT: Craig Allebach, Kent Adams, Joe Hawn, Tom Miller, Mitch Titus and Adam Turner, Aaron Carl
Opening – Heather opened the meeting with prayer and The Pledge of Allegiance.
Approval of Minutes - Rick called for additions or corrections to the March 19, 2019 regular session minutes. Motion made by Theila and Heather seconded. Hearing no addition/corrections, the minutes stand approved as presented.
Approval of Claims - Kent presented for approval for March 19, 2019 End of Month claims, in the amount of $184,505.28 and April 16, 2019 claims in the amount of $190,904.41. Tom Miller requested approval of a claim to replace a 20-year-old Power Washer that cost $5,900. Dennis moved to approve the claims as presented and Theila seconded. Motion passed.
· April 20 - Easter Egg Hunts at Winona Lake Limitless Park, Hunt for “Special Friends” friends with special needs is at 11 a.m.; Hunt for ages 0 -2 is at 1 p.m.; Hunt for ages 3 - 5 is at 1:30 p.m.; Hunt for ages 6 - 10 is at 2 p.m.
· April 27, 9:00 a.m. - Joe’s Kid’s Splatter Dash at the Park.
· May 2, 12:00 p.m. - National Day of Prayer at Winona Heritage Room.
· May 4, 8:00 a.m. - Leesburg Elementary PTO 5K Fundraiser.
· May 5, 7:00 p.m. - Worship Arts Program Concert Tour of France at Winona Lake Grace Brethren Church.
· May 7, 4:00 p.m. – Winona Lake Sculpture Dedication.
· May 14 & 15, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. & 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. – Community Planting Days at Winona Lake Limitless Park.
· May 14, 4:00 p.m. – Winona Queen Sculpture Dedication.
· May 17 to 19 – Fat & Skinny Bike Festival in The Village at Winona.
· May 21, 4:00 p.m. – Billy Sunday Sculpture Dedication.
· Matt Light, area cyclist, received a Certificate of Merit for his quick assistance with a driver that had been speeding. Officer Arvanitis found the driver had a warrant out for his arrest.
Report from Town Engineer
· Working on sewer capacity calculations.
· Working on Columbia Street extension.
· Continuing work on the Town design standards.
· Working on topography for Lexington Manor storm drainage and streets and bike trail.
Report Town Attorney
· Working on the Town design standards.
· Working with Police Department on a few different matters.
· Working with Plan Commission on rental inspection ordinance.
· Sewer easement issues have been resolved.
Reports from Supervisors
· Street Dept./Tom Miller - Spring cleanup will be at least once a week throughout April. Please do not sweep into the street as leaves will plug up the storm sewers. The street department recently rented a dump trailer to help with leaves. The trailer was very useful and Tom will present quotes at the next meeting to purchase a trailer
· Police Dept./Joe Hawn - The DNR has been contacted about our deer population. It has become a problem in the community.
· The walking bridge over the canal needs some repair.
· The wind blew over the roofed structure and sign in front of Town Hall, wondering if it will be replaced?
Meeting was adjourned – Dennis motioned to adjourn. Meeting was adjourned at 6:18 p.m.
RICK SWAIM KENT ADAMS