The Town Council of Winona Lake, Indiana met in a regular session on Tuesday, June 18, 2019, in the Town Hall at 6:00 p.m.
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT: Rick Swaim, Dennis Duncan, Heather James, Theila Banta and James Lancaster
OTHERS PRESENT: Craig Allebach, Kent Adams, Joe Hawn, Tom Miller, Michael Raymer, Adam Turner, Aaron Carl
Opening – Theila opened the meeting with prayer and The Pledge of Allegiance.
Mitch Titus Memorial Presentation – Rick opened with a few words. Mitch was dedicated to his task as a firefighter, the outpouring support from the community during his viewing and funeral are an indication of the impact he had on our community. His loss will be felt greatly by his family, friends and the Town of Winona Lake. The Town will miss his focus and dedication to the task of keeping Winona Lake residents safe. Craig announced that a scholarship fund will be established through the Kosciusko County Community Foundation for a firefighter for higher education in honor of Fire Chief Mitch Titus. Craig and Deputy Clerk Treasurer, Meghan Lincoln presented Mitch’s family with a solid brass ax with the Fire Chief’s insignia. The ax reads Mitch R. Titus, Winona Lake Fire Department 1996 to 2019. The Town Council would like to thank Jody for the sacrifices that you and your family have made over the years while Mitch was protecting the residents of Winona Lake.
Approval of Minutes - Rick called for additions or corrections to the May 21, 2019 regular session minutes. Motion made by Theila and James Lancaster seconded. Hearing no addition/corrections, the minutes stand approved as presented.
Approval of Claims - Kent presented for approval for May 31, 2019 End of Month claims, in the amount of $64,091.98 and June 18, 2019 claims in the amount of $363,180.11. Motion made by Heather and Dennis seconded. Motion passed.
· June 22, 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Warsaw Breakfast Optimist Triathlon.
· June 28, 8:00 p.m. Winona Lake Flotilla “Celebrate the Holidays”.
· June 29, 5:00 - 9:00 p.m. Winona Lake Great Fourth of July Celebration.
· June 29, 6:00 p.m. Kiddie parade in the park.
· June 29, 8:00 p.m. Patriotic Concert at Tabernacle Park.
· June 29, 10:00 p.m. Fireworks.
· July 13, 11:00 am to 3:00 pm Touch a Truck in the Village at Winona
Kosciusko Economic Development Corporation Presentation
· Alan Tio, CEO of KEDCO is visiting all the local town councils to give an introduction for community development and how do we get economic development in our communities. KEDCO is requesting more support from the town for operations. As we move forward with strategies laid out in the Comprehensive Plan, the town will need more assistance from KEDCO. KEDCO proposal would
Trash & Recycling Contract Renewal
· The current trash and recycling contract will be up for renewal this month. We have had some problems in the last year but in the last six months things have calmed down. Craig is recommending that we go with one-year contract and a 2% increase.
· Theila made motion for a one-year contract with a 2% increase and Heather seconded. Motion passed.
Approval for Lawn Tractor
· Craig reported that the town has taken on more green space and greenway to mow. It takes about 34 hours to mow. Another mower is needed to mow areas in half the time, Tom received three quotes all are for a zero-turn mower with 60” deck and 25HP diesel engine with a rear bagger attachment. Greenmark (John Deere) $16,167.22, Bobcat of Warsaw (Xmark) $20,428.00 and More Farm Store (Kubota) $16,000. Tom is recommending the low bidder, More Farm Store $16,000 Kubota lawn tractor.
· James Lancaster made motion to approve the purchase of trailer and Dennis seconded. Motion passed.
Report from Town Engineer
· Drainage design for Limitless park, some standing water.
· Working on drainage in Lexington manor.
· Greenway trails surveys and bike trails.
· Working on the Town design standards.
Report Town Attorney
· Working on the Town design standards.
· Working with Police Department.
· Working with Plan Commission on rental inspection ordinance.
Reports from Supervisors
· Street Dept./Tom Miller - Commended his staff for their response and hard work to the community for weeks after the storm. Residents that had damage provided coffee and water to the Inframark staff.
· Fire Dept./Mike Raymer, Assistant Fire Chief – IRS 501C3 was received. July 2nd a new fire chief will be elected.
· Park Dept./Holly Hummitch – This is week three of summer programs.
Reports from Council
· Theila wanted to thank the clean-up team for all their hard work after the storm.
· Dennis thank everyone for their work during the storm and emphasis’s one more time what a special community we live. Holly the park looks great.
· Terry White wondered when restrooms would be completed. Craig commented that August 15 is the completion date for the new public restrooms.
· Judy Reneker Byrd would like the board to consider putting a stop sign by the park as you come along Park Avenue, often children do not stop at the street as they come from the park, as they head to the trail. Along Park Avenue and Columbia Dr (Greenway).
· Craig & Tom Miller reported the stained-glass window has been refurbished. Warsaw Engineering & Fabricating has used stainless steel frame and powder coated. Should last for years to come.
· Rick commended Tom and his crew on the new benches with the ball that rolls around.
Meeting was adjourned – Rick closed the meeting. Meeting was adjourned at 6:47 p.m.
RICK SWAIM KENT ADAMS