The Town Council of Winona Lake, Indiana met in a regular session on Tuesday, September 17, 2019, in the Town Hall at 6:00 p.m.
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT: Heather James, Theila Banta, James Lancaster
ABSENT: Rick Swaim, Dennis Duncan, Holly Hummitch, Kevin Gelbaugh, Tom Miller
OTHERS PRESENT: Craig Allebach, Kent Adams, Adam Turner, Joe Bumbaugh
Opening - James Lancaster opened the meeting with prayer and The Pledge of Allegiance.
Approval of Minutes – James Lancaster called for additions or corrections to the August 20, 2019 regular session minutes. Motion made by Theila and Heather seconded. Hearing no addition/corrections, the minutes stand approved as presented.
Approval of Claims - Kent presented for approval for August 20, 2019 End of Month claims, in the amount of $72,025.78 and September 17, 2019 claims in the amount of $335,314.33. Motion made by Heather and Theila seconded. Motion passed.
· September 28, 10:00 a.m. - Beaman Home Angel Run 5k/35th Block Party at the Park.
· September 28, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Oktoberfest in the Village at Winona.
· October 5, 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. - Fire Department Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser at Winona Lake Fire Department for Grace College Women’s Soccer.
· October 5, 11:00 a.m. - Grace College Homecoming Parade starting at the Park.
· October 12, 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. – Nocturnal 10 at Grace College MOCC.
· October 13, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. - Fall 15k & 5k start at Green Earth Multisport.
2020 Budget Public Hearing
· Kent presented the 2020 Budget Council. The official adoption will be October 15.
· Question about local roads and street reduction in the budget of $29,400. The planning commission is talking about parking spaces needing blacktop. Community Crossing Grant money or wheel tax money goes into this fund.
· Question about the income from trash in the budget. The trash is fee based. Currently the Town is working on a rate study for this next year.
· John Teevan is impressed with the resurfacing project and the painting of the roads that has been done in the town. Also, the US 30 bypass project, will any part of the southern route effect Winona Lake. Craig said at this point the project is south of Winona Lake.
Reports from Supervisors
· Police Dept./Joe Bumbaugh – An agreement with the Rifle & Pistol Club to use the facility for training and qualifications of firearms. David Swain recently graduated from RIA as a firearms instructor. K21 Foundation grant was awarded for one Trek electric assist bicycle to use on the trails.
Meeting was adjourned - Theila made the motion to adjourn the meeting. Meeting was adjourned at 6:17 p.m.
RICK SWAIM KENT ADAMS